5 Fun Facts For Groundhog Day
Happy Groundhog Day! It's hard to believe we have celebrated such a weird holiday for over 100 years. But looking in to the holiday and the traditions, I became fascinated by it. Here are so fun facts about Groundhog Day that are definitely intriguing:
1) The man who started the first Groundhog day celebration was originally a member of a groundhog hunting club called the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. So instead of hunting them, he decided to celebrate them with his club.
2) The celebration is presided over by local government officials aka the Inner Circle. They all wear top hats and speak in Groundhogese (Pennsylvania Dutch).
3) When Groundhog Day first started, they used to eat Phil. He would make his prediction and then they would cook him up. How insensitive is that?
4) The Groundhog Club has said for years that Phil is immortal. Apparently ever summer Phil drinks some kind of drink called "The Elixir of Life". This so called drink keeps him from dying so he can fulfill his duties every year.
5) Punxsutawney Phil is married. I don't know where they met but her name is Phyllis, so they are kind of a match made in heaven.